[strongSwan] How to use letsencrypt certificate in swanctl?

Glen Huang heyhgl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 14:39:57 CET 2019

I’m trying to use the certificate generated by letsencrypt for my ikev2 vpn, and I use swanctl.conf

I copied either cert.pem or fullchain.pem to swanctl/x509 as cert.pem, and specify certs.pem to local.certs. When starting charon, it fails with

It seems swanctl doesn’t directly support the certificate generated by letsencrypt? Is it possible to convert manually?

Another quick question, if I name the pem file as mydomain.com.pem, charon fails with invalid syntax for certs, and it also fails with the same reason if I put it in a subfolder in x509 and specify mydomain.com/cert.pem <http://mydomain.com/cert.pem> to certs. Does that main cert file shouldn’t contain more than two dots in the file name? And subfolder isn’t supported?

Thanks a lot.