[strongSwan] EAP-AKA failure: AKA_SYNCHRONIZATION_FAILURE

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Wed Apr 24 10:21:57 CEST 2019

Hi Tomek,

> However, the
> phone didn't accept the new AUTN and sent synchronization failure again.

Does it report the reason why it does so?

> Do you have any idea why the phone is sending the
> AKA_SYNCHRONIZATION_FAILURE?

No.  You should really check the logs there to see why it does.

> In meanwhile, I was changing some
> configuration parameters to deal with another issue. Can this issue be
> caused by some configuration parameter?

Maybe.  Without knowing what you changed it's hard to tell.

Which plugin are you using on the server?  Because I noticed that the
eap-aka-3gpp2 plugin (as compared to the eap-aka-3gpp plugin) does not
increase SQN with each get_quintuplet() call, which seems like a bug.
However, that should not have an effect right after the resync as that
explicitly sets SQN to the supplied value + 1.  And I also saw that both
plugins use a global, non-persistent and initially time-based SQN, which
might not work well with multiple clients (in particularly if they
connect concurrently and/or resync).  So I guess these two plugins are
really only intended for testing.

Regards,
Tobias