[strongSwan] (no subject)

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Tue Sep 4 08:24:22 CEST 2018

Hi Sandesh,

RSA signature-based authentication can only be broken if the
same RSA key is being used as for RSA encryption-based authentication
and this RSA key is broken applying the Bleichenbacher oracle to
RSA encryption-based authentication.

Since strongSwan does not implement RSA encryption, the RSA key cannot
be determined using the Bleichenbacher oracle and therefore IKEv1 and
IKEv2 RSA signatures cannot be compromised.

It has always been known that IKEv1 and IKEv2 PSK-based authentication
can be broken with an offline attack if the PSK is too weak. This is why
we recommend EAP-based user authentication with IKEv2 where the server
must authenticate itself first

PSKs with 128 bit cryptographic strength or more cannot be broken.

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
strongSwan - the Open Source VPN Solution!          www.strongswan.org
Institute for Networked Solutions
HSR University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil
CH-8640 Rapperswil (Switzerland)