[strongSwan] Multiple connections same virtual pool without sharing FIXED

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Wed Oct 17 09:23:55 CEST 2018

Hi Marwan,

>> How does it do that?  Do you mean it allocates addresses from
>> 10.0.0.0/24 to those clients?  (Without the server being aware of that,
>> which is not a good idea.)  Or does it NAT traffic from these devices to
>> the IP address it received from the VPN server?
>
> The idea is that the client has its connection configured with e.g.
> “leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24” and each device located on the
> 192.168.1.0/24 subnet allocates a virtual IP address from 10.0.0.0/24.

Then you definitely don't need virtual IPs managed by the VPN server.
Just use that leftsubnet configuration (and rightsubnet set accordingly
on the server) and get rid of left|rightsourceip.

>> So why not use distinct subnets?  Reaching these devices from other
>> hosts (e.g. behind the VPN server, or the server itself) could be tricky
>> if they have the same IP addresses assigned.  And depending on the
>> traffic selector on the server's side and whether you use marks this
>> will actually result in duplicate IPsec policies, which won't work.
>
> Many of our customers that are setting up these "clients" are already
> connected to a VPN when they wish to connect to the devices. To avoid
> conflicts, we thought the customer could select the virtual subnet. If
> it is possible to set up duplicate subnets, there is no need to check if
> a certain subnet is available for the customer to use.

OK, then you'll definitely want to use marks etc. to properly handle
duplicate subnets.

>> And are you sure this would be easier with a site-to-site setup instead
>> of using virtual IP pools in the first place?  The IP addresses used on
>> the client end could still be "virtual IPs", i.e. only usable inside the
>> VPN, but they wouldn't be assigned by the server (to use duplicate
>> subnets is still tricky, though).
>
> Yeah, any setup will do as long as we can duplicate the subnets. I was
> hoping that it could be done as I read in the Virtual IP wiki that it
> might have been possible before: “previously each connection would use
> it's own copy and the same virtual IP may have been handed out to
> different clients”.

But that's not your use case.  The devices behind each client won't
request virtual IPs from the VPN server, so these pools are irrelevant.

Regards,
Tobias