[strongSwan] Ikev2 wildcards with MacOs clients

Matthieu Nantern matthieu.nantern at margo.com
Fri Oct 5 08:31:06 CEST 2018

We are using certificates (one for each client device) but I have 2
networks: n1 and n2. And I want that some users can access n1 and others n1
+ n2.

I wanted to make the distinction by using a conf like that:

conn alice
	leftsubnet=10.1.0.10/32
	right=%any
	rightid="C=CH, O=Linux strongSwan, OU=Research, CN=*"
	auto=add

conn venus
	leftsubnet=10.1.0.20/32
	right=%any
	rightid="C=CH, O=Linux strongSwan, OU=Accounting, CN=*"
	auto=add

But unfortunately with MacOs client I don't have the Distinguished Names
but only the FQDN:

ikev2-pubkey[1216]: ESTABLISHED 2 minutes ago, 10.8.1.113[vpn.test.net
]...213.41.12.162[firstname.lastname at test.com]
ikev2-pubkey{2102}:  INSTALLED, TUNNEL, reqid 325, ESP in UDP SPIs:
c4d64307_i 0c4df008_o

And if you compare that with the StrongSwan Android client:

ikev2-pubkey[1217]: ESTABLISHED 4 seconds ago,
10.8.1.113[vpn.test.net]...213.41.12.162[C=FR,
O=Test, OU=Prod, CN=firstname.lastname at test.com]
ikev2-pubkey{2103}:  INSTALLED, TUNNEL, reqid 326, ESP in UDP SPIs:
c3b37b06_i be7247e0_o

So I cannot route my users according to their certificates and I was
wondering what can I do ?

--

Matthieu Nantern
SRE, Margo Bank