[strongSwan] IKE2 4500 Reply Not Making it Out

Info infosec at quantum-equities.com
Sat Mar 24 22:56:38 CET 2018

On 03/24/2018 02:39 PM, Noel Kuntze wrote:
> After two minutes of searching the strongSwan github mirror for the error message, I can tell you that the problem is that the assembled IKE message exceeds charon.max_packet, which defaults to 10000.
> Simply raise that limit in charon.conf. E.g. to 30000.
Would but that have fixed it, but there is no change in the symptom.

I don't think I've been negligent because G**gle couldn't find that.  I
guess many know that G**gle has been eliminating alot of technical
search results lately.  I am dealing with so many other problems that I
would never have thought to search the source code.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I need to change
/etc/strongswan/strongswan.d/charon.conf to this:

charon {

        filelog {
                /var/log/charon.log {
                time_format = %a, %Y-%m-%d %R
                ike_name = yes
                append = no
                default = 2
                flush_line = yes
                max_packet = 30000

                mgr = 0
                net = 1
                enc = 1
                asn = 1
                job = 1
                knl = 1
                }
        }
}

... then
# systemctl stop strongswan-swanctl
# systemctl start strongswan-swanctl

There is no change in the symptom, which would have been doubly baffling
if I -had- managed to find the error in the source.