[strongSwan] Strong swan IKE issue.

Andrii Petrenko aplsms at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 19:49:21 CET 2018

Hello Tobias,

Remote side is asking  disable PFS Group 5:

PFS Group 5 is not configured on our end and is not enabled by default.
If this is currently required on the Andrii end then we will open a change to have this added.

Can it cause this problem?

How can I disable PFS on my side?

we have no DH group defined for esp, so pfs is disabled. What i have in doc:

pfs = yes | no
whether Perfect Forward Secrecy of keys is desired on the connection's keying channel (with PFS,
penetration of the key-exchange protocol does not compromise keys negotiated earlier). IKEv2 always uses
PFS for IKE_SA rekeying whereas for CHILD_SA rekeying PFS is enforced by defining a Diffie-Hellman dhgroup
in the esp parameter. Since 5.0.0 <https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/500> the latter also applies to IKEv1 and this parameter has no effect anymore.

I set pfs=no, and have this in my log:

ipsec_starter[1]: Starting strongSwan 5.6.2 IPsec [starter]...
# deprecated keyword 'pfs' in conn 'remote-asa'
ipsec_starter[1]: # deprecated keyword 'pfs' in conn 'remote-asa'
  PFS is enabled by specifying a DH group in the 'esp' cipher suite
ipsec_starter[1]:   PFS is enabled by specifying a DH group in the 'esp' cipher suite

I have no DH group specified for ESP on my side:

    esp=aes256-sha1!

Thank you,

Andrii Petrenko
aplsms at gmail.com <mailto:aplsms at gmail.com>