[strongSwan] best practice for IKEv2 lifetimes

Noel Kuntze noel.kuntze+strongswan-users-ml at thermi.consulting
Thu Mar 8 11:43:59 CET 2018

Hi,

Set the correct life time locally and a sizeable margintime.
That works around the issue of bad administration on the other end. If they set it up right, the lifetime is exactly the same as on your side, the margintime makes a collision unlikely.
If the lifetime on your side is less than on their side, you rekey earlier than them, so no problem.
If the lifetime on their side is less than on your side, they rekey earlier than you, so no problem.
For the rekeying itself, use a rekeyfuzz value that results in a time span of several minutes.

You can try using make then break (search the man page for strongswan.conf) for IKEv2. If it works with CISCO, then it's fine.
Otherwise, you'll have to make do with that. There were some commits merged into master a couple of versions ago that make auto=route work better with IKEv2 during rekeyings and reauthentication,
so this might be the proper solution for you.

There are different settings for IKE SA and IPsec SA rekeyings. They're a little bit obscurely described on the man page for ipsec.conf, but that should not be an issue. The bottom of the man page should help you tell the difference.

Kind regards

Noel