[strongSwan] 2 factor in mac os x with native ikev2

Volodymyr Litovka doka.ua at gmx.com
Sun Mar 4 15:14:19 CET 2018

Hi Karthik,

see below

On 3/4/18 1:23 PM, karthik kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>    Is it possible to do two factor authentication with Mac OS X's
> IKEv2 native client ? As far as I searched,
>
> a) with strongswan client in osx its possible with eap-gtc and pam +
> oath but native client leftauth is always eap-mschapv2 (also confirmed
> here
> <https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/AppleIKEv2Profile#Authentication-options>)
>
> b) as per this mail
> <https://lists.strongswan.org/pipermail/users/2012-March/002656.html> its
> not possible to combine mschapv2 with pam.
>
> c) as per this explanation
> <http://lists.freeradius.org/pipermail/freeradius-users/2016-June/083723.html> the
> problem that needs to be solved is /HASH( pw+otp) != HASH(pw) + HASH
> (otp). /I am not sure it can be done with strongswan
>
> question:
> a) on the server is there a way we can do two factor auth with
> eap-mschapv2 ?
if you will find ways to transfer cleartext passwords from client
(impossible with with mschapv2), you can use eap-radius plugin to
forward requests to FreeRadius in order to do 2f auth, as explained here
http://www.supertechguy.com/help/security/freeradius-google-auth

> or
> b) on the osx native client is there a way we can use eap-gtc with
> native client ?
it seems that native client support nothing except mschapv2

--
Volodymyr Litovka
   "Vision without Execution is Hallucination." -- Thomas Edison