[strongSwan] how to send/request the intermediate CAs?

Harald Dunkel harri at afaics.de
Sat Mar 3 06:34:56 CET 2018

Hi Tobias,

On 02/23/18 14:25, Tobias Brunner wrote:
> Hi Harri,
>
>> I had hoped that putting the whole chain into /etc/ipsec.d/certs/mycert.pem
>> would help, but apparently it doesn't.
>
> strongSwan reads only the first certificate from PEM encoded files.  So
> put them in separate files.

I have 2 additional question here (hope you don't mind):

Even if Strongswan ignores the additional certs, is it possible that
some crypto implementation *used* by Strongswan does not, but reads
all certificates found in the cert files (in /etc/ipsec.d)?

Does Strongswan send just the first certificates it has read to the
peer, or does it send the whole certificate file (the chain)?

Reason for asking is that I see some weird authentication failures if
I cut off the additional certificates from the chain files and put
them into seperate files.

Regards
Harri