[strongSwan] Required Kernel Modules?

Alexander v. Below Alex at vonBelow.Com
Mon Jul 23 17:00:58 CEST 2018

Hello,

I am trying to get StrongSwan running without success, and trying to track down issues and reading the documentation, I find things like:

"Please make sure that the the following Linux 2.6 IPsec kernel modules are available:

	• af_key
	• ah4
	• esp4
	• ipcomp
	• xfrm_user“

I am trying to install on Debian 2.6.32-openvz-042stab123.2-amd64, but I must admit I know very little about Linux (feel free to ask me anything about macOS or iOS …)

An `lsmod` yields an empty list. I assume this is very bad, and prevents Strongswan from working correctly.

Question 1: Is that true, or are these modules hiding somewhere?
Question 2: If these modules are indeed missing, can I install them or do I need to build a new kernel?

Thanks a lot

Alex