[strongSwan] Security Comparison

Christian Salway christian.salway at naimuri.com
Thu Jul 19 09:33:31 CEST 2018

Hi Robert,

Thank you for coming back to me.  I have a client who is pushing for VDI (HTTPS) instead of VPN (IPSEC) and I’m wondering whether there is a security standpoint I can argue or if its just as secure.  I am also limited to the native OSX/Windows VPN clients which currently support a maximum of aes256-sha256-prfsha256-ecp256-modp2048 (Windows does not support ecp)

Apart from IPSEC being Layer 3 and HTTP being Layer 6, meaning that should a VPN client be infected with a worm, it is easier for that worm to infect the network, I’m struggling to see another security argument.

Data encrypted over RSA 4096 SHA-2 on paper seems a secure connection.  Whereas IKE also uses a certificate to do the KeyExchange before logging in and then encrypting the data with ESP, so the ciphers used on ESP I feel is the comparison that needs to be made.

I will have a read of that Cipher suites page, but if I remember correctly, it is not a comparison but a standpoint.