[strongSwan] Issue with IKE_SA rekey towards Cisco

Rajiv Kulkarni rajivkulkarni69 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 20:13:51 CET 2018

Hi

If iam correct...these tunnels to be established are Cisco-ezvpn tunnels
using the Cisco-unity plugin..

The Cisco EzVPN IPSec Tunneling work only with IKEv1...and if PSK is
used..with GroupID...then it has to be aggressive-mode only. And ofcourse
XAUTH is needed

By the way the Groupnames fall under KEYID so...why dont you try the below
on the strongswan client?

Note: Iam not using the option "forceencaps=yes"...i dont think its
required...and my personal opinion...it shouldnt be used..

====================
ipsec.conf
====================
conn client1
        auto=start
        left=%any
        right=33.33.33.4
        leftauth=psk
        rightauth=psk
        aggressive=yes
        leftid=keyid:Group1
        rightid=%any
        modeconfig=pull
        leftsourceip=%config
        rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
        xauth=client
        leftauth2=xauth
        xauth_identity=rajiv
        dpddelay=20
        dpdtimeout=60
        dpdaction=clear
        ikelifetime=28800s
        lifetime=3600s
        rekeymargin=180s

========================
ipsec.secrets
=====================
# auto-generated config file from /tmp/etc/config/strongswan
@#47726F757031 : PSK "Test$123456789"
rajiv : XAUTH "config123"

Please note: The value shown as "47726F757031" (without including @# chars
which are strongswan-specific), is actually a converted "hex-value" of the
ASCII-characters "Group1" (without the quotes and not including the
"keyid:" which is strongswan-specific option)

- use a ASCII to Hex converter...and convert "Group1" groupid to its
hex-value...and use it as shown in the ipsec.secrets file above
- In the ipsec.conf file...always use the "keyid:groupid" method to set the
leftid on the client

Always use this way with strongswan...it works better..

I havent tried the above client config with Cisco-ASA applianc....BUT...the
above works with the Cisco2951-IOS-Router (as the EzVPN-server)...and i
dont have any issues with rekeying (either with IPsec-SA or the IKEv1-SAs)

Hope this above info is of some use

thanks & regards
Rajiv