[strongSwan] Accessing VPN client from private network

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Thu Feb 15 10:30:00 CET 2018

Hi Marco,

> FARP is configured on both client and gateway, and I can reach
> all the internal network from the vpn client (ubuntu linux).
> Still pinging the vpn client from the internal network does not work.

You mean you are able to e.g. ping hosts in the remote network from the
client (i.e. you get a response from an IP other than 192.168.1.10,
which belongs to the server)?  But if you try to ping the client's IP
(192.168.1.20) from a host in that network you don't get a reply?  Try
debugging this with tcpdump/Wireshark on the hosts in that network,
check if the ARP packets are correctly sent/received and where the ICMPs
requests go etc.  Also check your firewall/NAT rules.

Regards,
Tobias