[strongSwan] pki --verify Command

Tobias Brunner tobias at strongswan.org
Mon Feb 12 17:34:39 CET 2018

Hi Jafar,

> If I omit the crl option completely no crl check takes place as expected:

Yes, that would require adding the --online option.  The --crl option
automatically does that.

> The crl command line options forces a crl check but the locally provided
> crl is completely ignored even though it is the same crl on the server.
> Is that to be expected?

I can't reproduce that, using the same hierarchy with two intermediate CAs:

>   using certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=server"
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
> checking certificate status of "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=server"
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA"
>   reached self-signed root ca with a path length of 0
>   using trusted certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
>   crl correctly signed by "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
>   crl is valid: until Feb 27 17:28:52 2018
> certificate was revoked on Feb 12 16:28:52 UTC 2018, reason: unspecified
>   using cached crl
> certificate untrusted

If I don't add the CRL but --online instead (without having uploaded the
CRL) I get:

>   using certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=server"
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
> checking certificate status of "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=server"
>   fetching crl from 'https://strongswan.org/test.crl' ...
> crl fetching failed
> certificate status is not available
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA"
> checking certificate status of "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
> certificate status is not available
>   using trusted ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan CA"
> checking certificate status of "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA"
> certificate status is not available
>   reached self-signed root ca with a path length of 2
> certificate trusted, lifetimes valid, revocation checking failed

And after uploading the CRL:

>   using certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=server"
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
> checking certificate status of "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=server"
>   fetching crl from 'https://strongswan.org/test.crl' ...
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA"
>   reached self-signed root ca with a path length of 0
>   using trusted certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
>   crl correctly signed by "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
>   crl is valid: until Feb 27 17:28:52 2018
> certificate was revoked on Feb 12 16:28:52 UTC 2018, reason: unspecified
> certificate untrusted
And without either option:

>   using certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=server"
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA 2"
>   using trusted intermediate ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan ICA"
>   using trusted ca certificate "C=CH, O=strongSwan, CN=strongSwan CA"
>   reached self-signed root ca with a path length of 2
> certificate trusted, lifetimes valid

Are you sure your local CRL is the same as that on the server?  Could
you perhaps send the certificates and CRLs in question?

Regards,
Tobias