[strongSwan] questions on eap-gtc and xauth

karthik kumar kumarkarthikn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 16:24:28 CET 2018

Hi,
   We are setting up oath based VPN connection with pam_oath

I have setup in my local with the Xauth config something like this

reponder
leftauth=pubkey
rightauth=pubkey
rightauth2=xauth-pam

initiator
leftauth=pubkey
rightauth=pubkey
leftauth2=xauth
xauth=client
xauth_identity=<username>

and it works well and then I came across the eap-gtc plugin,
a. can someone advice on why would anyone use eap-gtc when xauth works well
for authenticating user/pass. Is it because xauth can use only ikev1 ?
b. also if I use eap-gtc the (pam)backend is still xauth-pam right. so why
would anyone use it
c. how do I run ikev1 (xauth) and ikev2 (eap-gtc) at the same time ? any
sample configuration will be helpful

Thanks