[strongSwan] help with ext-auth plugin

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Sat Aug 4 13:10:21 CEST 2018

Hello Amit,

your log says:

00[CFG] no script for ext-auth script defined, disabled

The ex-auth plugin description

  https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Ext-auth

or man strongswan.conf

  charon.plugins.ext-auth.script []
     Command to pass to the system shell for peer authorization.
     Authorization is considered successful if the command executes
     normally with an exit code of zero. For all other exit codes
     IKE_SA authorization is rejected.

    The  following environment variables get passed to the script:
       IKE_UNIQUE_ID: The IKE_SA numerical unique identifier.
       IKE_NAME: The peer configuration connection name.
       IKE_LOCAL_HOST: Local IKE IP address.
       IKE_REMOTE_HOST: Remote IKE IP address.
       IKE_LOCAL_ID: Local IKE  identity.
       IKE_REMOTE_ID:  Remote  IKE  identity.
       IKE_REMOTE_EAP_ID: Remote EAP or XAuth identity, if used.

Thus you have to define an authentication script in strongswan.conf:

charon {
   plugins {
      ext-auth {
         script = <path to authentication script>
      }
   }
}

Regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
strongSwan - the Open Source VPN Solution!          www.strongswan.org
Institute for Networked Solutions
HSR University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil
CH-8640 Rapperswil (Switzerland)