[strongSwan] Single physical interface "roadwarrior" responder using DHCP/FARP

Thor Simon Thor.Simon at twosigma.com
Wed Apr 11 20:21:24 CEST 2018

No.  Dropping needs-frag would cripple connectivity, for sure.  Nobody should ever, ever drop needs-frag.

Dropping other types of unreachables complicates diagnosis, but can't actually _cause_ connectivity issues, since no protocol I'm aware of actually takes any corrective action in response to an unreachable of any other type.  Though inelegant, what this achieves is that TCP at either end not tear down connections we wish to persist when the peer briefly loses connectivity.

Our users want their TCP connections to stay up even when they do things like commute home or ride the subway.  DPD will (should, must, really) tear down the IPsec state, but the StrongSwan DHCP module, along with our DHCP server configurations, will ensure that when the peer reconnects, it'll get the same address.  So these long-lived connections need not die.  Unfortunately, to _ensure_ they don't die, we have to block ICMP unreachables generated on either peer while the IPsec tunnel is down (as well as, due to implementation details elsewhere in our network, from the next-hop router on the server side).  But never, of course, needs-frag.

The need to block TTL Exceeded is an oddity of our setup with many servers running in parallel and would not exist for most other deployments, I'd think.  But, inelegant as it may be -- if you have mobile clients that can lose connectivity for tens of minutes at a time, and you don't want their TCP connections falling over, some ICMP will have to be blocked.  Or so it seems to me.

Thor