[strongSwan] VICI: Stale SA's found even after unloading the connection.

Vignesh Kesavan Vignesh.Kesavan at riverbed.com
Wed Apr 4 12:21:02 CEST 2018

Hi,

We are using Strongswan 5.5.3 and VICI python library to program IPSEC tunnels.

We use load_conn/unload_conn api's to configure/delete a tunnel from strongswan respectively.

This problem arises when we try to unload a tunnel which is in CONNECTING state. On issuing unload_conn, connection is getting deleted(verified using swanctl -list-conns). But SA continue to exist and charon retries to establish the tunnel(verified using swanctl -list-sas). Ideally we expect the SA to get deleted after unload.

Please find attached python script that we used to simulated the problem. The destination used in the script(10.10.10.1) is not a reachable host. So tunnel is in connecting state. In this sate, after calling unload_conn, connection is getting deleted. But SA exists.

Please suggest a  way to overcome from this problem.

Note:
1. We tried calling Terminate api before calling unload. Even that didnt help. We ended in the same behavior(Can be seen from the logs attached (python_output.txt))
2. This problem is not seen on tunnels which are in established state. Unload_conn delete's  connection and  SA's properly.

Thanks
Vignesh