[strongSwan] Cannot connect to IPsec gateway in a roadwarrior scenario because of large packet lengths

Noel Kuntze noel.kuntze+strongswan-users-ml at thermi.consulting
Wed Sep 27 02:17:33 CEST 2017

Hi,

UDP packets can not be fragmented on the transport layer. UDP packets represent a complete datagram, not a byte stream like TCP. Fragmentation needs to be implemented on the application layer, which is what charon supports with IKEv1 and IKEv2 fragmentation, configurable with fragmentation=yes, which enables support for it. It is used, if the remote peer indicates support for it as well.

Yes, the problem is caused by your new ISP (or some other hop to the other peer) dropping IP fragments.

Kind regards

Noel