[strongSwan] NixOS test

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 00:26:49 CEST 2017

On 31 August 2017 at 19:40, Noel Kuntze
<noel.kuntze+strongswan-users-ml at thermi.consulting> wrote:
> The aborting of the initation is a deliberate design decision. That is because this is a configuration error of the remote peer.
> Use auto=route to get the kernel and charon to try to establish a matching CHILD_SA for the traffic matching the TS.

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the explanation. I guess the swanctl equivalent of
auto=route is start_action=trap. What do you mean by "remote peer"?
The initiator carol or the responder moon? I actually tried setting
start_action=trap on carol before but got the same NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN
error after a few successful test runs.

I just tried setting start_action=trap on moon as well and I haven't
been able to reproduce the error after many test runs. So this might
indeed fix the problem! I am surprised this setting is not set on the
same test in the strongSwan project:

  https://github.com/strongswan/strongswan/blob/master/testing/tests/swanctl/rw-psk-ipv4/hosts/moon/etc/swanctl/swanctl.conf

Maybe the machines in the strongSwan test suite are booted
sequentially instead of in parallel like in my NixOS test so the error
doesn't appear.

> There are many more failure cases than just that that would need to be considered to make charon try to keep a CHILD_SA up at all times.

Is there any documentation on how to configure strongSwan for systems
that need to work reliably and fully autonomously?

Thanks a lot for the start_action=trap tip. I think I'm also going to
set that on my company VPN because it seems to make things more
reliable.

Bas

> On 31.08.2017 19:31, Bas van Dijk wrote:
>> I've now changed the testScript[1] to first start moon, wait for the
>> strongswan-swanctl service to start and then start carol. Using this
>> setup it's almost guaranteed that moon has loaded the connection
>> before carol initiates the connection.
>>
>> In the process of debugging this I did discover the option:
>> charon.retry_initiate_interval "Interval in seconds to use when
>> retrying to initiate an IKE_SA (e.g. if
>> DNS resolution failed)". Would it make sense to extend the behavior of
>> this option to also retry an IKE_SA if a previous attempt failed *for
>> any reason* (so not just on DNS failures)? If it works like that it
>> will solve my problem because carol will just retry initiating the
>> connection after it gets the NO_PROP message. It will make initiation
>> more automatic and robust.
>>
>> Bas
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/LumiGuide/nixpkgs/blob/c16b7285fe9cc379227a255f955b38c6830a7b24/nixos/tests/strongswan-swanctl.nix#L150
>>
>> On 31 August 2017 at 11:04, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok after studying this part of the log a bit further:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/basvandijk/a2de93d8c93ce925838c1dbf2ee1d925#file-strongswan-swanctl-test-failure-log-L1428:L1459
>>>
>>> I see that the following is going on:
>>>
>>> 1. moon has started charon-systemd but hasn't loaded the connection yet
>>> 2. carol sends a IKE_SA_INIT request to moon
>>> 3. since moon hasn't loaded the connection yet it can't find an IKE
>>> config for 192.168.1.3...192.168.1.2 and sends a NO_PROP response back
>>> to carol
>>> 4. moon loads the connection
>>> 5. carol warns about the "received NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN notify error"
>>> 6. pings from carol to alice fail continuously because the VPN is not