[strongSwan] Making pcrypt stick across boots

Eric Germann ekgermann at semperen.com
Mon Oct 2 02:24:07 CEST 2017

I’ve gone down the path of exploring parallelization of crypto in Strongswan from [1].

It seems to be working as a) the expected output shows up in ‘cat /proc/crypto’ and b) under load in htop, it’s now showing kernel activity on all cores vs. a single core before (not sophisticated, but it definitely changed after the modprobe).

My question to the group is, how does one make it stick across boots?  I tried the trick of putting the modprobe in /etc/rc.local and That Was Bad (continuous reboot loop).  Backed it out and we’re ok.  Obviously there has to be a better way.  Wondering what the proper way in Centos 7 is for this module.

The process in [2] doesn’t seem to work for installing them.

Thanks for sharing any experiences.

EKG

[1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Pcrypt <https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/Pcrypt>
[2] https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-kernel-modules-persistant.html <https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-kernel-modules-persistant.html>