[strongSwan] fails to retry after DNS failure

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon May 8 10:42:45 CEST 2017

On 08/05/17 10:23, Noel Kuntze wrote:
> Hello Daniel,
>
> That's not a bug, that's intentional behaviour.
> Charon stops trying to initiate or negotiate when a permanent error
> is encountered that it can not handle by itself.

Why do you feel it is a permanent error?  In a networked environment, a
DNS timeout can sometimes happen.

If the DNS returned some other error (e.g. NXDOMAIN) then I would
consider that a permanent failure.  But a timeout (DNS error SERVFAIL)
is not permanent.

>  Use auto=route, if you
> need to make sure CHILD_SAs are reinitiated when they're down,
> but needed. There's no option to force retrying in any case.

So if I change "auto=start" to "auto=route", then using
"right=vpn.example.org" will work again?

Note that sometimes I want to make connections from the head office to
the branch office, so I don't want it to wait for a process at the
branch office to send traffic before bringing up the connection.

> Closeaction only applies to CHILD_SAs getting closed and dpdaction only to dpd timeouts.
> So obviously neither applies.

Is it safe to leave these entries in place or do you suggest removing or
changing either of them?

Regards,

Daniel