[strongSwan] VTI Interface without virtual IPs

Berlakovich Felix (OeRK-W) Felix.Berlakovich at w.roteskreuz.at
Tue Mar 28 15:54:13 CEST 2017

Hi!

I have an IPsec tunnel connection between Strongswan and a Cisco device that looks roughly as follows

        left=<mypublicip>
        right=<theirpublicip>
        leftsubnet=<ourinternalnetwork>
        rightsubnet=<theirinternalnetwork>
        keyexchange=ikev1
        ike=aes256-sha1-modp1536!
        ikelifetime=3600s
        esp=aes256-sha1-modp1536!
        keylife=3600s
        type=tunnel
        compress=no
        authby=secret
        auto=start
        keyingtries=%forever

There are no tunnel ip addresses in use and configuring one with leftsourceip breaks the connection. I would like to have a VTI interface representing the tunnel. This would simplify packet capture and iptables configuration. However, all the examples I could find configured the VTI interface with local and remote IP address. Is my intended configuration even possible?

Best regards

Felix Berlakovich