[strongSwan] DPD operation different when using multiple interfaces

Modster, Anthony Anthony.Modster at Teledyne.com
Fri Mar 24 17:52:33 CET 2017

Hello

? why doesn't each connection stop after the DPD retry limit is reached (transmission retries start over to from 5 to 1)

? why doesn't each connection entry clear after the DPD retry limit is reached (swanctl --list-sas shows all connections)

? why on reconnect does each connection create a new entry (and then leave zombie entries of the prior connection)

Procedure

*         Configuration: DPD delay =2s, DPD action = clear

*         Note: using VICI

*         Using 4 radio interfaces

*         Allow all radio to create VPN tunnels

*         Bring down all radio interfaces

*         Allow DPD to finish a 5 retries

*         We then notice all VPN connection would start over and retry

*         Then after that bring up the radio interfaces

*         All radio would reconnect, swanctl -list-sas shows the new connections and the old zombie connections

The above does not happen when we use 1 radio connection (DPD stops after 5 retries and the entry clears)

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks