[strongSwan] Traffic selector modification ignored when rekeying SA

Mike Taylor mtaylor at unicoi.com
Thu Jul 13 18:05:02 CEST 2017

Hello, I happened to be working to upgrade an existing IKEv2 to RFC7296 and
one of the things I noticed in RFC7296 came to mind when seeing this thread.

>From RFC7296 Section 1.7

   In Section 2.8, "Note that, when rekeying, the new Child SA MAY have
   different Traffic Selectors and algorithms than the old one" was
   changed to "Note that, when rekeying, the new Child SA SHOULD NOT
   have different Traffic Selectors and algorithms than the old one".

So the behavior of changing the traffic selectors during rekey is discouraged
although not completely forbidden.

Regards,

Mike