[strongSwan] No traffic with compress=yes

Alexander Hill alex at hill.net.au
Thu Feb 9 18:39:11 CET 2017

Hi all,

Runnings Strongswan 5.3.5 on Ubuntu 16.04 on clients and server.

My connections with compress=yes don't appear to pass any traffic. What I'm
seeing seems similar to the issue described in this post from 2013:
https://lists.strongswan.org/pipermail/users/2013-May/004689.html

I get connections apparently up, I see them in the output of ipsec status
and ipsec leases, but no traffic across the link. Set compress=no on the
server and issue ipsec reload, and the clients connect and communicate fine.

Are there any known problems with this setup?

Thanks,
Alex