[strongSwan] iPhone, iOS with TLS+EAP

Noel Kuntze noel.kuntze+strongswan-users-ml at thermi.consulting
Tue Dec 19 21:04:10 CET 2017

Hi,

> 1) Is it possible to check the EAP password without using a radius server?
>    If so, which module must I use?

The corresponding module for the corresponding EAP method. eap-mschapv2 for, well, EAP MSCHAPv2.

> 2) Can I use a IKEv2 iOS <-> StrongSwan connection verified by certificates only?

Yes, see the article about AppleClients.

> 3) I experimented with the parameters and have the feeling if I use the
>    EAP password check the certificate isn't check any longer?

That's wrong.

>    I replaced the CA certificate on the server with a wrong (none-matching) CA
>    but I still can connect to the server.
>    Do I have an error in reasoning here?
strongSwan doesn't flush certificates when you reload the configuration or load new ones. The best way to ensure it doesn't have a cert is to
restart the daemon. So in your case, it still had the right CA certificate.

The CA constraint obviously doesn't do anything if it's commented out. AFAIR it's implicitely dropped if no such CA certificate is known.

Kind regards

Noel