[strongSwan] NixOS test

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 09:09:36 CEST 2017

I noticed that my test succeeds most of the time but I just observed a
test run where carol keeps trying to ping alice but fails each time.
The following line from the test log[1] seems suspect:

carol# [ 4.538963] charon-systemd[716]: received NO_PROPOSAL_CHOSEN notify error

I haven't looked into this error yet but I suspect it's a concurrency
issue. Note that all machines start up at the same time[2]. I think if
I first start moon, wait for the strongswan-swanctl.service to start
and then start carol it always succeeds. But I rather not introduce
that sequentialism and I suspect that strongSwan should be able to
handle not fully booted gateways and that I just forgot to configure
some option somewhere.

Any ideas why the test sometimes fails?

[1] https://gist.github.com/basvandijk/a2de93d8c93ce925838c1dbf2ee1d925
[2] https://github.com/LumiGuide/nixpkgs/blob/b1bab8cff348ac743ecc6734f1852a16db41a9a2/nixos/tests/strongswan-swanctl.nix#L151