[strongSwan] CRL check: how to fail over to local CRL if fetch fails

Zach Cutlip uid000 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:32:04 CEST 2017

I'm not sure why the CRL loaded from from /etc/ipsec.d/crls isn't
being checked during authentication. It's definitely cached in memory
according to 'ipsec listcrls'

However, I've added a ca section to ipsec.conf, listing the exact same
crl, but with a file:/// url:
crluri = file:///etc/ssl/mydomain.org/ca2.mydomain.org.crl.pem

I turned up logging, and I see an attempt to fetch that CRL during
each authentication attempt:
Apr 21 09:55:10 geonosis ipsec[3172]: 09[CFG]   fetching crl from
'file:///etc/ssl/mydomain.org/ca2.mydomain.org.crl.pem' ...
Apr 21 09:55:10 geonosis ipsec[3172]: 09[LIB]   sending http request
to 'file:///etc/ssl/mydomain.org/ca2.mydomain.org.crl.pem'...
Apr 21 09:55:10 geonosis ipsec[3172]: 09[CFG] crl fetching failed

I've verified the file is world readable. I can cat it, and I can curl the uri.
I've also tried converting it to der format.

So, it seems there are two questions:
Why is the CRL loaded from /etc/ipsec.d/crls/, but not consulted?
Why is the curl plugin unable to fetch the local CRL from the file:/// uri?

--
:wq!