[strongSwan] DPD issues when using multiple interfaces to same Gateway

Modster, Anthony Anthony.Modster at Teledyne.com
Fri Apr 21 18:26:37 CEST 2017

Hello Tobias

Also, we are using VICI

-----Original Message-----
From: Modster, Anthony
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 9:24 AM
To: 'Tobias Brunner' <tobias at strongswan.org>; Marc Obbad <marc.obbad at gmail.com>; Users at lists.strongswan.org
Subject: RE: [strongSwan] DPD issues when using multiple interfaces to same Gateway

Hello Tobias
See below

-----Original Message-----
From: Users [mailto:users-bounces at lists.strongswan.org] On Behalf Of Tobias Brunner
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 12:24 AM
To: Marc Obbad <marc.obbad at gmail.com>; Users at lists.strongswan.org

Hi Marc,

> 1- Are DPD rules apply  to individual tunnels? If one tunnel cannot
> communicate with  the Gateway but other are, what happen if DPD timer
> expires in only one of them?

Yes, they apply to each IKE_SA individually.
A.M. DpdAction=clear, and multiple interfaces, after one DPD timer expires, it may not clear.
If DpdAction=clear, and single interface, after DPD timer expires, it does clear.

> 2- When we set DPD action as restart, do we need to terminate  the
> current IKE after DPD timer expires or it is done automatically?

The SA will be automatically restarted.
A.M. after the restart and the interface comes back up, the tunnel indicates ESTABLISHED, but is not useable.

> 3- In our case DPD behavior depends if we have only one interface or
> we have multiple interface connected to same Gateway. It is working
> when we have only one interface.

Not sure what you mean.

Regards,
Tobias