[strongSwan] Troubleshooting VPN performance

Noel Kuntze noel at familie-kuntze.de
Mon Apr 10 16:45:49 CEST 2017

On 10.04.2017 16:40, Zach Cutlip wrote:
> Just to clarify: are you referring to
> charon.plugins.kernel-netlink.mss and
> charon.plugins.kernel-netlink.mtu?

No.
You can set the MSS on the strongSwan host using iptables[1][2].

For the MTU. You very likely want to do that on the client.
The strongSwan android app honors that.

Setting charon.plugins.kernel-netlink.mss only has significance for connections
that are initiated by the host running strongSwan
and using charon.plugins.kernel-netlink.mtu just flat out breaks
connectivity for IPsec peers with remote hosts that don't honor ICMP fragmentation needed
messages (Instagram, for example). :(

> Do the clients require any configuration change?

See above.

[1] https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/ForwardingAndSplitTunneling#MTUMSS-issues
[2] https://strongswan.net/blog/how-to-resolve-mtu-issue-with-ipsec-tunnel/