[strongSwan] Wildcard certificates and strong swan

Joe O notjoe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 09:47:07 CEST 2017

Hi there,

I was trying to use a wildcard certificate when I stumbled upon a thread that mentioned support for wildcard certificates was remove/wouldn’t be supported.

Now, I can sort of understand the logic behind the reasoning which is for the sake off security. The problem I see with that is that you have LetsEncrypt only verifies the (sub) domain and nothing more. In my view, having certificates issued and validated by LE is probably more insecure than a wildcard certificate, maybe. I’m not an expert.

So with that said, the thread I saw was a year or two old and so I was wondering if there would be plans for re-introducing them? I could really use them as the rate limiting of LE has become a bit of a pain in the butt for me if I need to drop existing VMs and provision them again.

Thoughts?