[strongSwan] Replay window upper limit

Emeric POUPON emeric.poupon at stormshield.eu
Thu Sep 1 10:09:44 CEST 2016

Hello,

Indeed the upper limit depends on the API used to manipulate the SA in the kernel.
With pfkey, the field is stored on a 8 bits field.

On FreeBSD, the maximum value is actually 255*8 = 2040 packets
We have made a patch to change the field to 32bits.
This allows very huge replay windows (you need a lot of RAM though), but this patch has not been submitted yet.

Emeric