[strongSwan] auto=route with virtual IPs

Alexander Hill alex at hill.net.au
Thu Oct 27 18:29:05 CEST 2016

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that. If I remove the leftsubnet
directive from the client config, I get a route with src explicitly set to
my interface's real IP, which has the same effect. I also tried setting it
to the virtual IP pool, and the current virtual IP under lease, to no
avail. I'll double check tomorrow but I think one or both of those resulted
in no route being added at all.

It seems to me like the correct route can only be added at connection time,
because it needs the virtual IP that might not have been assigned yet, but
the sans-src route is necessary before then to make the trap work. So the
route needs to be replaced when a connection is established, but I can't
work out how to make strongswan do that.

Any other ideas of how to make this work? I know updown.sh is there as a
last resort but I'm hoping to stick to simple configuration.

Thanks,
Alex