[strongSwan] understanding make before break flag

Nalla, Pradeep Pradeep.Nalla at cavium.com
Mon Oct 17 15:09:59 CEST 2016

I was using make_before_break feature in recent strongswan version to avoid packet loss during rekey.

In one of our implementation, we have an ipsec dataplane offload hardware. A kernel module is used to intercept the strong swan messages to kernel's SAD/SPD, via PFKEY, for feeding to hardware.

In make_before_break case I see an insertion of SA(new CHILD_SA establishment), updation of policy and delete of SA(old CHILD_SA closing). I want to understand how do you ensure that the packets encrypted using the old CHILD_SA, be processed at the peer successfully before old SAs are deleted?

Thanks

Pradeep.