[strongSwan] Strongswan AUTH payload signature hash algorithm for certificate based authentication

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Tue Oct 11 20:16:33 CEST 2016

Hi Kalyiani,

compliant with RFC 5996, strongSwan generates the RSA public key
signature embedded in the AUTH payload with a SHA1 hash independent
of the HASH and PRF algorithm selected for IKEv2.

In addition to this legacy mechanism, strongSwan supports RFC 7427
"Signature Authentication in IKEv2"

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7427

where depending on the capabilities of the peer either SHA1, SHA256,
SHA384 or SHA512 based digital signatures are possible.

Starting with strongswan 5.3.0, "Signature Authentication" is enabled
by default and if the peer supports RFC 7427 usually SHA256 is chosen
implicitly with a 2048 bit or 3072 bit RSA key. The digest strength
of the  AUTH payload of type "Digital Signature" can also be configured
explicitly if desired.

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org