[strongSwan] Starting Strongswan without certificates

Balaji J balaji.1manarmy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 10:51:50 CET 2016

Hi All,

I am trying to start strongswan charon but got a failure and realized that
it will start only if i place ca cert, key and server cert in /etc/cert
directory.

Is there anyway to start charon without certificate.
Also i am trying to test RW scenario where the RW-client will be sending
IDi=<his identity> IDr=<some fqdn> in first 1st IKE_AUTH request without
AUTH payload in it to indicate EAP auth. For this request i want charon to
respond with IKE_AUTH with only 2 payloads in it IDr=<fqdn> and
EAP-Payload=<EAP-Content-From-AAA>.
what should be the config to achieve the same?

I tried setting leftaut=none , still it didn't help. Charon is always
sending AUTH payload created using the server cert in /etc/cert/ directory.
I want to avoid the same as mentioned above.

Please Clarify.

Thanks,
...BJ