[strongSwan] Strongswan Speed?

Chris Babcock cbabcock at qoya.io
Tue Nov 15 00:13:34 CET 2016

I didn't see if anyone else responded.  Not a lot of info in your
question Jody, but I'll give it a stab.  Encryption requires a lot of
math processing.  If you don't have a hardware accelerator like Intel's
AESNI that works with strongswan, OpenVPN, and the like, you are using
your main processor to do a lot of cryptography, which most were not
designed to do to this point.  A ton of Cisco routers, which are
expensive, top out at 10-15 Mbps with basic AES128/SHA1 in my tests.
I've seen modern costing $10-15k Cisco routers only able to handle
200Mbps(4300 series maybe?).

It would be helpful if you told us what kind of equipment you are using
and basic info of what your are trying to accomplish, but the answer is
likely you dont have enough processing power to encrypt and decrypt your
traffic, at the speed you want.   Your network connectivity is very
likely not the issue.  Hope that helps.

CB