[strongSwan] Simple VPN server as default gw setup

Geert Geurts geert at verweggistan.eu
Tue May 31 14:29:13 CEST 2016

hallo all!

I'm trying to setup a simple VPN to function as default gateway.
Below my setup in (poor) ASCI ART and my ipsec.conf of both SERVER and CLIENT.
SERVER has a public static ip and is listening for connections.
CLIENT is a roadwarrior and IP is dynamic.

The connection setup works, so after a "strongswan up SERVER" at the
CLIENT machine I can ping/ssh/anything to and from over the
10.1.0.0/24 network.
Problem is trying to ping google.nl from CLIENT, I get a response from
1.2.3.4 "Destination Host Prohibited".
sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 and iptables rules are set according to
https://wiki.strongswan.org/projects/strongswan/wiki/ForwardingAndSplitTunneling
How can I setup forwarding on the SERVER?? What am I doing wrong here?

Further more at SERVER the iptables rules seem to only grow... So
rules seem to be added, but never removed... When should these rules
be removed from SERVER? Does this only happen on "strongswan down
SERVER" at CLIENT or should they also get removed after a DPD timeout?
How can I debug this?

My setup: