[strongSwan] Does strongSwan (5.4.0) detect the presence of the Intel QAT device and accelerate encryption?

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Fri May 13 09:48:22 CEST 2016

Hi Chinmaya

On 13.05.2016 09:37, Chinmaya Dwibedy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What I understand, in order to use Intel’s AES-NI instructions, we have
> to configure openssl plugin and build strongSwan (5.4.0) . As a result,
> the OpenSSL libcrypto library automatically detects the presence of the
> Intel AES-NI instructions and accelerates the AES-CBC encryption
> algorithms. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
> Quick Assist Technology is a new Intel technology for better
> accelerating cryptography.
>
> Does OpenSSL libcrypto library automatically detects the presence of the
> Intel QAT device and takes advantage of this Intel technology (ex: for
> faster setup rate)?

The current stable OpenSSL libcrypto library doesn't come with QAT
support. There is an experimental OpenSSL libcrypto library with
QAT support around that was patched by Intel in a quick and dirty
way, but that library cannot be downloaded from Intel's website if
you don't have an account with them.

> Thanks in advance for your support and time?
>
> Regards,
> Chinmaya

Regards

Andreas