[strongSwan] auto=route and dpd settings

Paul Nguyen pnguyen at okta.com
Sun Jun 12 01:41:23 CEST 2016

Hi,

I’m running Strongswan 5.3.5. I have the following conn section.

conn transport-conn
  type=transport
  authby=pubkey
  keyexchange=ikev2
  aggressive=no
  ike=aes128gcm128-sha256-ecp256
  esp=aes128gcm128-sha256-ecp256-esn
  left=%any
  leftcert=/etc/strongswan/ipsec.d/certs/cert.pem
  right=%any
  rightsubnet=10.21.128.0/18
  dpdaction=clear
  dpddelay=30s
  dpdtimeout=120s
  mobike=no
  auto=route

I’ve read through the mailing lists archives and issues, and as I understand it is if you have auto=route then dpdaction is not needed because the auto=route installs the trap policy in the kernel. I’m still unclear, if I have auto=route do I need to set dpdaction? And can I set dpddelay to 0? What is the effect of doing that?

Thanks,
Paul