[strongSwan] How to tell strongswan not to use kernel modules ?

Marko Burazin morkitz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 07:43:03 CET 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to start the ipsec connection using "ipsec start", but it fails
with the following:

root at localhost:/# ikeipsec
start
Starting strongSwan 5.3.1 IPsec [starter]...
modprobe: module ah4 not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module esp4 not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module ipcomp not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module xfrm4_tunnel not found in modules.dep
modprobe: module xfrm_user not found in modules.dep
Aborted

Ok, it means that the required modules are missing. But what if I have a
kernel which was compiled with all the required options set to "y" instead
of "m", so that all the kernel IPSec support is compiled in.

Can you somehow still force the strongswan to bypass kernel modules and use
the ipsec support if it was compiled into the kernel?

Thanks,
Marko.