[strongSwan] Strongswan gives Strict-NAT: How to change that?

TheNomad thenomad at runbox.com
Tue Dec 27 16:35:45 CET 2016

Hello all,

due to internet censorship, we have to use VPN to access Online Gaming services with our Xbox One.

There are no issues with using Strongswan generally - it works perfectly on my desktop and mobile devices.

But when we are using a VPN connection with XboxOne, we always get Strict NAT which in turn restricts the possibilities for using Xbox.

Without VPN, we always have open Nat.

So I wonder are there some configuration options that might help?

I have installed Strongswan 5.5 on a Ubuntu VPS and set up a (ikev2) VPN connection on our Windows 10 laptop that we share with the Xbox One. You cannot connect directly to a VPN with Xbox, therefore this workaround via the laptop.

I hope somebody has some ideas on how to get open or moderate NAT.

Thanks a lot for your help!