[strongSwan] Strongswan on public Amazon EC2 instance

Eric Germann ekgermann at semperen.com
Wed Aug 31 23:33:08 CEST 2016

Are your encaps/decaps increasing for the SA when it’s up and you’re trying to ping?

We use a number of instances on AWS to connect to about everything under the sun that does IPSec.

Several notes:

- Put the AWS IPSec appliance on a public subnet with an IGW
- Associate an Elastic IP with the appliance instance.
- Make sure the Security Group associated with it permits udp/500 and udp/4500 since they’re doing NAT and NAT-T
- on the AWS appliance in ipsec.conf make sure left = is the internal IP of the appliance.  Make sure leftid = the EIP associated with the instance.
- set right = to be the external IP of the Cisco appliance
- leftsubnet = the internal subnet of the VPC (we set it to the supernet associated with the whole VPC)
- rightsubnet = what’s behind the Cisco
- make sure your Security Groups allow the remote subnets (from the Cisco side) to connect to things
- add routes to the remote Cisco networks to the routing table(s)
- manually or automatically (leftfirewall, rightfirewall = yes) get the iptables rules updated to forward.
- Forwarding needs to be on in /etc/sysctl.conf
- I usually bump up UDP send/receive buffers

Works for me.

EKG