[strongSwan] iOS as a dual-stack client

Niels Peen nielspeen at icloud.com
Thu Sep 3 22:35:40 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I’m trying to create a configuration that provides both IPv4 and IPv6 to connected clients and routes all traffic through the VPN server.

The configuration below works wel with Strongswan for Android but causes iOS on the iPhone to disconnect immediately (after what Strongswan believes to be a successful connection setup).

Once I comment out the IPv6 parts of leftsubnet and rightsourceip iOS connects without issue. Any ideas as to what iOS might not like about this configuration? Is anyone else successfully serving both IPv4 and IPv6 to iOS clients?

conn eap-peap
        left=123.123.123.123
        leftid=vpn.server.com
        leftcert=cert.pem
        leftupdown=/usr/lib/ipsec/updown.sh
        leftsendcert=always
        leftauth=pubkey
        right=%any
        leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0,2000::/3
        rightsourceip=10.0.0.0/24,2123:1:1:1:0:3::/96
        rightdns=10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2
        rightauth=eap-radius
        rightsendcert=never
        eap_identity=%identity