[strongSwan] Strongswan 5.3.0 windows 7/8 configuration problem

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongswan.org
Tue May 19 12:29:40 CEST 2015

Hi Hans,

it seems that the Windows clients does not receive the IKE_AUTH
response from the strongSwan gateway probably because the large
certificate contained in the message leads to IP fragmentation of
the UDP-based IKE datagram the fragment get discarded somewhere
on the way:

sending end entity cert "C=NL, ST=Utrecht, L=Amersfoort, O=Globiq BV,
CN=<<full qualified host name>>"

generating IKE_AUTH response 1 [ IDr CERT AUTH EAP/REQ/ID ]

sending packet: from 10.10.0.125[4500] to 222.127.206.61[39239] (1468 bytes)

received packet: from 222.127.206.61[39239] to 10.10.0.125[4500] (1100
bytes)

parsed IKE_AUTH request 1 [ IDi CERTREQ N(MOBIKE_SUP) CPRQ(ADDR DNS NBNS
SRV ADDR6 DNS6 SRV6) SA TSi TSr ]

received retransmit of request with ID 1, retransmitting response

As you can see the Windows client is retransmitting its original
IKE_AUTH request. What is the MTU in your network? Actually the IKE_AUTH
message with a size of 1468 bytes should not get fragmented with an
Ethernet MTU of 1500 bytes.

Best regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                         andreas.steffen at strongswan.org