[strongSwan] Visibility on usage of a strongswan/ipsec server

Andrew Foss afoss at actmobile.com
Mon May 4 18:48:26 CEST 2015

It has 4 cores all show really idle, was expecting ipsec to show up as
Sys time instead of user, but they all show < 1%.

What makes me wonder is we also have an app running on the same machine
and it has a 4 second watchdog timer event and we get a log message if
that timer takes more than 6 seconds to fire and when ipsec is that busy
the watchdog is taking 6-10 seconds, yet when we look at top the machine
looks idle. The app does very little, 90% of the work on that is ipsec,
but seems like our app is getting little runtime, just not obvious who
is occupying the cpu, but logically it is ipsec...

andrew