[strongSwan] Performance with lots of tunnels and (XFRM) policies

Martin Willi martin at strongswan.org
Tue Mar 10 14:35:23 CET 2015

Noel,

> I would like to know how the performance of strongswan/Linux is with
> about 1000 established tunnels and ~3000 (XFRM) policies.

I think XFRM policy lookup in the kernel scales fine, handling ~3000
policies shouldn't be a problem at all.

> How much traffic can be forwarded? Is the performance hit because of
> the large number of policies in any way significant?

I don't think so; IPsec throughput is mostly limited by your raw crypto
performance. Of course working on many SAs may reduce the efficiency of
your CPU caches compared to a single SA carrying all the traffic.

In the end you'll have to test your setup on your hardware to get any
useful answers. Given that some strongSwan installations handle ~100'000
tunnels just fine, scaling to 1000 active tunnels is no rocket science.