[strongSwan] Properly troubleshooting Strongswan

James Lay jlay at slave-tothe-box.net
Fri Jun 26 13:28:36 CEST 2015

Hey all!

Finally got around to sending the group this email...busy month.  So
earlier this month I was out and about....I tested my linux laptop to my
linux server using cert based auth, all things fine using a tethered
phone.  Same thing at the airport...wonderfully working perfect.  The
hotel on the other hand was a disaster.  I had ssh access to the server
regardless (yes I could just tunnel over I suppose, but meh) so I was
able to packet capture both sides of the session.  Packet captures are
not very helpful with strongswan.  So...is there a way to debug
strongswan when this situation comes up again?  There is no problem with
strongswan in this instance I know...clearly the hotel wireless was
muffed somehow, but it did not appear to be something obvious like a
blocked port.  Thank you.

James